Financial Controller – Tampa, FL
Today, Allied has operations in more than 200 locations coast to coast with well over one million square feet of warehouse and office space. Its modern corporate headquarters is located in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Allied’s workforce consists of more than 3,000 committed individuals, from outside and inside sales professionals, warehouse, dispatch personnel and equipment operators to product, marketing, credit and architectural managers. Allied maintains a modern, efficient fleet of more than 1,200 cars, trucks and tractor trailers. All of these resources are effectively brought to bear in Allied’s commitment to service.
The company looks to a future of long-term growth with continued product and market diversification. Allied strives to meet the needs of customers at every level of the building industry-residential, commercial, and industrial- from large architectural accounts to the home remodeler. As part of this commitment to the industry, relations are maintained with many large and small architectural firms. Allied, from the start, has maintained high standards of integrity and service. Dedication to these ideals is the key to Allied’s past and future in the building industry.
The Oldcastle Southern Group Financial Controller will be responsible for various aspects of financial reporting, including consolidation of multi-company financial results, technical analysis, monthly analysis of financial reports, support of the annual budget plan and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, liaison with internal and external audit, supervision of staff, special projects (including acquisition integration) and other activities.
The Controller candidate is a skilled, financial professional who understands business, operations and financial processes, has the ability to integrate finance and operations, and partners with the operations management and leadership in helping them successfully manage their business and operations in meeting financial objectives. Key responsibilities include: being a partner to business managers; implementing analytical decision-making in the business; proactively finding opportunities and recommending ideas for increased profitability through detailed financial analysis.
The Controller will be part of a team that creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the technical and financial analysis more robust and the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate.
The ideal candidate can grow into successively challenging leadership roles with the company.
Planning & Analysis
• Establishes, or recommends to management, financial strategies, objectives, and policies for company
• Coordinate with departments and employees performing financial reporting, accounting, billing, collections, payroll, and budgeting duties
• Analysis/review of P&L accounts to support the month end process along with cost analysis and review.
• Analyze and review profitability of special projects.
• Prepare economic cost studies for projects concerning new or existing products, operation processes, equipment, or facilities
• Support the operations & businesses in generating and quantifying cost savings opportunities, and support the operations management team in the implementation of cost reduction initiatives
• Directs and participates in cost analyses & rate studies. Prepares statements and reports of estimated future costs and revenue.
• Explores opportunities to reduce net operating expenses.
• Implement a process to record transactions by department and compare costs incurred to budget and performance analysis of profit centers
Internal Controls & Audit
• Enhance, implement and enforce SOX policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the company
• Procedural reviews – work to continuously improve controls and processes, and comply with corporate requirements
• Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective internal controls
• Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting
• Annual review and audit of internal control procedures in order to sustain SOX compliance and to manage/minimize financial risk at the facility
• Support and lead the coordination of all internal and external financial and operational audits and address any audit findings with operations and divisional leadership
• Directs internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls. Establishes system controls for new financial systems and develops procedures to improve existing systems.
• Coordinates preparation of external audit materials and external financial reporting.
• To assist and support the month end close schedule and to ensure the financials are in accordance with GAAP.
• Assist in the preparation of budget.
• Assist in the management and preparing of financial justifications, and ensuring timely creation of assets
• Involvement in various accounting projects as directed by management, including special projects and other duties or analysis as requested by operations or divisional leadership
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting of Finance and/or Master’s Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting. Graduate degree and/or CMA, CPA or other professional certification preferred
• At least seven years of accounting experience with a minimum of three years as a controller in a manufacturing / plant operations environment.
• Previous supervisory/management experience required.
• Large company ($500 million+) experience strongly preferred
• Previous experience in a Controller role with a public company strongly preferred
Manufacturing / Building Materials / Construction experience preferred
• Experience with GAAP, financial analysis, cost accounting, forecasting and budgeting
• Exposure supporting SOX compliance activities
• Experience of working with cross-functional and multi-company teams
• Multi-company consolidation experience preferred
• Experience with SAP, JD Edwards or similar ERP system preferred
Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to link and analyze plant operational metrics to financial performance
• Ability to see the big picture while focusing on the process and procedures necessary to produce deliverables.
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
• Capable of working independently and managing multiple priorities
• Excellent written and verbal communications with the ability to share knowledge at appropriate levels of the organization
• Customer focused with attention to detail and capable of delivering accurate, quality results in a timely, consistent, and professional manner
• Strong interpersonal and team building skills including the ability to interact comfortably and respectfully with all levels of plant and corporate personnel
• Proven operational leadership skills in implementing and supporting new ideas
• Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to meet and establish deadlines.
• Exceptional work ethic.
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills with emphasis on Excel.
• Knowledge and use of SQL Query and Essbase a plus